Thursday, April 10, 2008

Guilt

I think it's normal to feel guilty for being depressed. I think it's also normal (and important) to fight that guilt.

But feeling guilty for having a good day when you have been depressed... That feeling has sent me spiraling downward more than once recently.

I said I was depressed yesterday - am I not depressed today? And if I'm not, was I really depressed yesterday?

I am finding that depression is a confusing place to live. What is upside-down is often right-side-up, and things that are normally plain are polka-dotted, and sanity is something that people expect, but you are sane, really... You just have to convince yourself of that - and it's awfully hard to do when you have a good day and you can still see the edge right over there. You know its reality - you fear its encroachment. You don't want to be caught unaware if the edge is suddenly before you again.

But I don't want my good days to be driven by the need to legitimize my bad days.

I have noticed that my good days are the days that I take one minute at a time. Even the bad days are more bearable when I do this. Maybe I don't have a perfect yesterday or a perfect ten minutes ago or a perfect plan for the next hour or week or year, but I don't have to die over the fact that this moment is (or can be) a good moment.

Each moment is a gift. That is reality. I want to accept that with an open heart.

I'm taking my daughter and my sister for a walk when I finish this post. The air is clear and the sun is shining as it hasn't shone for over a week. I can hear the neighborhood children playing their daily games outside my study window.

Today, their sound is brighter.

If my heart is a bit lightened, there is no reason for me to hide my smile.

2 comments:

Robert said...

hi kelly- I so relate to what your saying, only for me fear is the catalyst. I feel like sometiems i am in wonderland where up is down. I know i am sane but the shadows fear causes inside loo mso large. Thank you for sharing kelly, really liked your poem so much as well.

Srivilasica said...

Thanks for this blog! Maybe, one day when the hurt is less, I will open my blog to readers like you.