Wednesday, December 17, 2008

When You're Supposed to Be Happy

Postpartum (yeesh, give me that word in a spelling bee, I'll spell out every time!) depression was not something I'd thought about. I'd heard about it, but never really considered that I would end up walking through it. That kind of thing was responsible for news stories of moms who killed their own kids.

Within four weeks of Piper's birth, I found myself fighting postpartum depression. It was like looking through a plexiglass window, where you can't hear anything on the other side, but you can see people going about their lives, occasionally tapping the window to see if you'll respond.

Here I was, a new mom, with the whole world expecting me to be bouncing off the walls about it. But they didn't know that Piper had just sort of happened to me. I hadn't spent my whole pregnancy dreaming about her arrival. Pete was studying for the Bar, and I didn't want to leave him behind. Just before we got pregnant, I had four months of really good health for the first time in years. Ten months later, I had exhausted adrenals, a renewed attack from my Lyme disease, a different body, and a baby who demanded all of my time.

Everyone made assumptions that I was happy. I couldn't just say what I finally blasted at God:

I feel like such a lousy mom. I feel so self-centered, but I know it *is* healthy for me to have a break sometimes. I guess I feel like You're supposed to have more control of this all somehow, so in a way, I guess I'm kinda mad at You. I don't want to be, really, You're just the one that things get directed at.

I know You already know all this stuff is inside me. I hate it. I don't want it to be there. I have such visions of spending time with her, cuddling, talking, loving, and when it comes down to it, she screams and screams and I can't do anything but make it stop, and somewhere along the line I lose my sanity over it and feel like I can't even be my own person.

I don't want to admit that I wanted this. I don't want to remember that I decided to try and trust You with it. I don't ever want to get pregnant and have a baby again. And I wanted to trust You with that too.

I miss Pete, God. I miss spending time talking with him without a baby squalling in the background. I miss being independent and having some time for myself to email or blog or whatever--now I can't even do my photo-editing!

I don't know how all this is supposed to work, but I know You're supposed to, and if You could just somehow make it easier...? I feel horrible asking, like I'm such a wimp, and why can't I handle all of this, but God, I don't have anything left. Am I just having a pity party here? I mean, women throughout history have dealt with all of this before, and why should I be any different?

But I guess I'm just desperate. I feel like I just can't take any more. Please, I need You to help me, because I just can't keep going on like this, and nobody else understands, and I can't explain it all to them...
I have discovered that a lot of women go through postpartum depression. My doctor told me that it can take ten to twelve weeks for hormones to normalize after a pregnancy. Mine haven't normalized because of the effect of the Lyme disease on my pituitary gland.

In my opinion, postpartum depression is the worst kind of depression you can experience. You're supposed to be happy with this new baby that you dreamed about, enjoying the attention, and learning to live a completely new, wonderful life. But because of the depression, you can't enjoy it the way you dreamed you would, and those around you blame you for having a bad attitude or not being grateful or... a million other reasons.

And their blame doesn't begin to approach the weight of your own guilt, because you just know that somehow it's your fault.

I want to say it's okay, but it doesn't always feel okay. It's scary, and it's something that I can't go through alone. It helped when I ran across a post in September from a mom who was encouraging postpartum depressed moms. The two things that encouraged me the most were her suggestions: making a list of things I was thankful for, and being kissy with baby.

The thing that helps me the most is looking outside myself and remembering that I am not alone.

I'm now 17 months from Piper's birth, still dealing with depression, still dealing with the herxheimer reaction. Still learning to trust. Still waking up every morning. Still not sure if I want to have another baby. I pray for quiet, for naps, for something done. I pray for happy - or at least, content. I am reminded in small ways that God is good. I know He is more than I am.

I'm not bouncing off the walls; but I find peace. And there is sunlight on my fingers as I type.

7 comments:

Heidi said...

Awh, thanks for posting this. I knew at the time that you were feeling a lot of this, of course, but it's good to hear your heart on it.

I have felt much the same way with being a newlywed at the same time as being diagnosed with chronic illness. I feel guilty when Mike tells me that the last two years (since our wedding) are the happiest two years of his life. I feel like I *should* feel that way too, but I don't. They've been two of the hardest, saddest, most depressing years. But like you, I've struggled with expressing any of my discontent to others, because I know it looks like I have it so good. And I do...I have a wonderful husband and a wonderful home. "Everything I ever dreamed" - right?

There is just something that we never could have envisioned, something that people who've never experienced it can never understand, about the all-encompassing physical depression that comes from off-balance hormones. Whether it's postpartum, postwedding, or just daily reality...it's tough.

Ok this is turning into a post of my own. Maybe I should write one, since this is *our* blog, right? ;)

Anonymous said...

Thanking you for sharing your experience with PPD. I love your description of looking through a Plexiglass window. I'm going to link to this piece on Postpartum Progress. I wish you continued recovery.

Kim said...

You are most certainly not alone. I had PPD with my 2.5 year old son and didn't really get help until he was 8 months old (for me it was medication and therapy). I know your plexiglass feeling, for me I would kind of hit an emotional wall and it was as if I would be numb, seeing the world around me out of my eyes but not connected with it AT ALL. PPD was the hardest thing I have EVER walked through, even as a Christian woman and former pastor who longs to trust God with everything... It was the most alone and misunderstood I have ever felt. But I wasn't alone, there are so many women that understand. Thank you for blogging your Truth. As a side note, I cried and grieved that I would never want another child... and we prayed God would heal my heart and give me that desire again. I am happy to say I am due any day now with number 2. So it is possible to be sooo yourself again, that another baby seems like a great idea.

Bless you in your journey,
Kim

Kelly Sauer said...

Kim, thank you for sharing. You brought good tears to my eyes. :-) I felt so alone walking this. People who aren't there and haven't been there simply don't get it. It is wonderful to hear from someone who does.

I find the biggest encouragement sometimes comes from those who haven't been afraid to live life, be human, be depressed, and not live up to what everyone else says is normal. When it comes from someone like that, you know it's real; you know God is real.

Kim said...

Hi kelly,

I had to find this post again so I could tell you... I had my baby girl on Dec 30th and I am astounded and delighted to share that I do not have postpartum depression. You would not believe how amazing it can be... Now I understand why my mommy friends didn't understand me! I know only love and joy and fulfillment... it's so so so different. I only wish I could have experienced my son this way...

I tell you this to give you hope... hope that it CAN be different, that redemption is possible, and that you just might know what it's like to have a baby and be a "normal" mom one day... Be encouraged that all is not lost just because you have it this time. It is a risk, not a guarantee.

Contact me anytime for encouragement
Destinyinhim@gmail.com

Kim

loriann said...

Thank you so much for this blog. My little man is almost 9 months old, and I have had the most horrid combination of joy and despondency since he was born. Add to all of that an international move, a new job for my husband (he's now a pastor - not exactly a 9-5 situation), a Ph.D. dissertation hanging over my head, and the fact that our little guy has been really sick with asthma all winter, and I am just a mess! I have been feeling so totally alone - mainly because my husband and I have always been able to work hard and find a way to understand each other's feelings (even if that means going to therapy - he's also a trained psychologist), but this time he just can't quite grasp that being a mother is a physiological experience completely different from being a dad. I feel so guilty that I'm not able to handle being at home so much, being with my baby so much, being alone so much. I know there's hope, but all I really want is just to feel content right now - not in 6 months, or years, or decades... Thank you so much for helping me realize I'm not alone.

Carrie said...

Thank you for sharing this - I think in our Christian circles, too, sometimes depression has such a stigma attached to it, that we're afraid to come out & admit what's bothering us, we think we can get through it on our own, and that doesn't help.