Monday, March 3, 2008

Being Like the Tide

I read this post today on a friend's blog that has been incredibly encouraging lately. It was me-in-a-nutshell. Here's a snippet:
Nothing I feel feels shallow. I try and fake shallow to hide the destructiveness that i surely would bring if left unrestrained. The weight that i would bring to conversations, to arguments. How do open up a storm that in its self threatens to overtake and break me? How do i trust that someone else would be able to stand after seeing this ocean? I've come to learn that most of the world does not have this reservoir within them. That they don't have the currents, the pull, the terrifying and uncontrollable driving depth to them. How then, can they understand that my words carry the weight of the tide? That when i say i am wounded, i mean it to my core. That when i say i am frightened, i shake in my depths. That when say i am angry, you can see it's dark storm behind my eyes. They are able shake off life, distract themselves with other agendas, but how do i distract the currents? How do i distract the tide?

Read the whole thing.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

My mom always talked about how great it is to have community. People that when you talk about what's going on, they understand you. It means so much to me that i have people here that totally "get" me. Thanks you guys, it helps to know I'm not going through all of this alone.

Heidi said...

Thanks, Elizabeth. It helps us too, this knowing that we're not alone. Somehow it's not as bad when there are people walking alongside who know your pain, who have the same pain.